Mac, Linux or Windows?

Tell us about the OS you currently use. Have you always preferred it or just recently made the switch?

If you had to use one of the others, which one would be your second choice?

Comments 157

• Linux all the way for me. I've tried several distros - Arch, Mint, Fedora. Right now running the latest Ubuntu and loving it.

If I had to use one of the others, I'd go with Mac I guess. At least its UNIX based.

• I've been coding from a Macbook pro for years now, so MacOS here. Was a Windows user before that, didn't have any problems with it either.

• I use windows since all my life, but I think I want to give it a try using Mac

• Linux (Elementary OS) by Day (coding and stuff)
    &&
    Windows by night (Gaming!!)

PS: Dual boot system :P

• Mostly Windows 10, but also Linux from time to time(Kali being my favourite distro).

• I use windows right now, though I'd definitely prefer a linux or unix based OS. I'd definitely like to use a Mac, it offers the best of both worlds for me.

• From my personal use in all three of the operating systems, the operating system shouldn't really take away from or add to the quality of your work I feel like. As long as you get to your end goal, it's all just a journey in finding where you want to take the project or projects.

• I use both linux(ubuntu) and windows simultaneously. I always prefer linux over windows, but some of the tools I use are windows only and that's why I'm keeping windows too. So, of course my personal second choice will be windows for I'm a person who want to be in touch with the computer more closely.

• Changed back to windows 10 recently from Linux Mint, due to gaming (BF1) on same system. Probably should have set up a dual boot, but my server has Linux running on it. Might soon be time for a cleansing.
    Not married to an OS, Windows 10 is quite nice, but Linux Mint has come along way over the years. Most of us remember trying to get video setup properly and editing configuration files with resolution and Hz settings. Ubuntu hit a bit of a bump with pushing Unity which it has reversed, thought it separated the user from the OS, but has lost many of its followers. Thought they were one of the better distros out there for documentation/user base.
    Don't really have a preference, but gaming will always keep windows around, unless Linux improves its gaming engine.

• Recently switched from Windows to Mac, tried Linux mint on an old vista laptop, re-format of the hard drive. Linux mint worked fine, but I couldn't get used to working with linux especially loading new software. Got fed up with windows 10 and its continuous updates. I have changed the old vista laptop operating system to Raspberry Pi Desktop and it works great just like an actual Raspberry Pi.
    Recently bought an old Macbook Pro on ebay, really pleased with it Mac OS X 10.6,8 so it won't run the latest software - Processing for example no go on Mac OS X 10.6 and OS upgrade is not possible. Still my old windows now Raspberry Pi Desktop will and also Sonic Pi runs fine, so I'll be hanging on to the old windows m/c.
    May look to getting a more up to date Mac but have enjoyed working with an old Mac and it does 95% of what I want it to do.

• used them all. Best ever was 4.5 years as a very happy OS/2 Warp developer....but I've used Ubuntu for over a decade. Second is BSD on a Mac and finally.....no...I can't say it's name. W.

• I was always a Windows user but I've switched over to MacOS a couple years ago. I still have Windows and Linux Vms on my Mac tho

• Mac is always faster then windows but it's too costly, windows is cheap and best also beautiful UI. My 1st choice is Mac Sierra, 2nd choice is Windows10.

• I use MacOS, generally, but would definitely be interested in having a machine running Ubuntu. I'm also very interested in getting into some Raspberry Pi based gadgetry, so I could be much more Linux based at some point.

• Came from windows from the old days, even worked as tech support in my teens. Went into windows development, retired early and now I'm a Linux fan. I prefer Fedora but I've been checking out Solus Budgie for over a year. These days we're walking in India and my laptop is damaged, so once again, I'm stuck in Windows as I share my wife's laptop. So ya, I can manage in either world. ;)

• I'm a Windows baby, but have used Macs intermittently. I would try Mac again, sometime...

• using windows all the time. Should give a try for linux and then Mac.

• I've been using Bash for Windows on both my laptop and desktop and it has worked well enough for me. I do plan on picking up a Macbook when I'm in the market for a new laptop.

• First choice would have to be mac, but windows is what i use at work and i have no issues using it.  Its quite easy to have very similar setups on both operating systems which i guess makes life relatively simple 😊

• Hi Everyone,
    currently i am using windows 10. I always preferred it. my second choice will be linux.

• Linux - latest Ubuntu. Mostly working on Unix with CompizConfigSettingManager :3 Love its cube-desktops!

• Windows for work and Linux (Raspbian) at home for home automation stuff...

• I am using Windows 10 OS. I always preferred to use Windows. If I had to choose one of other OS, I would go for Linux where it is known of its flexibility in programming.

• Me adpato a el sistema que este usando para algo respectivo.!

• actualmente uso Windows 10 y me ha parecido muy estable, no me ha dado problemas con los aplicativos que utilizo, si llegaase a cambiar de entorno de trabajo utilizaria Linux, en lo especial a Ubuntu,Mint o Fedora.
  • I use Linux and have been using it for the past 6 or so years. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

If I had to choose a second OS I'd probably use Kali.

• I am currently using Windows 10+ Linux Ubuntu 17.10. I have currently installed windows because it is widely used in my region. I am love using ubuntu.

• windows for graphics and code since I've always used it. linux for tinkering.

• I have been actively using both Windows & Linux (Ubuntu) and recently started using Mac, for iphone App development

• mostly I use windows...if I had to use one of the others, ill go for Linux.

• I am a Mac user and I have always been a Mac lover from the begining. I simply prefer the simplicity of Mac over Window but have nothing against the window environnement.

• Windows, mainly for work reasons. Love Linux based systems however.

• I have been a Windows user since I was a kid. Then after my first job, I bought a MacBook Pro (for the sack of having & playing with one).
    I started back studies to get a Master in CS and ended sticking with a new MacBook Pro. I will definitely by another laptop or computer with will certainly have Windows because I need the Packet Tracer software for training and implementing network architecture.

Other than that, I am liking the Apple hardware and software and may in the future (let say 5 years) switch to an iPhone too... ;)

• Windows, just because it's what I started with and have had no unsolvable issues.

• Have been a Windows user until now, but would love to work with Linux and MacOS, some day.

• I used both Windows and Linux for different tasks. I have Windows on my laptop and several different Linux distros on my desktop. I'm a bit of a distro hopper in that sense...I just like to test them but I usually just end up using Arch.

• I'm writing this on a PC running Ubuntu 18.04, but the the portables are all Macs. The last time I used Windows was in the 90s. I don't miss it. I've been a Linux enthusiast since then. There was, however, a brief fling with OS/2 (RIP).

• I am using Ubuntu 14.04 and Windows 10 together in a dual-booted system. My laptop is a thinkpad t460 , so I have only few games for which I use Windows and come to Ubuntu for development purposes.

• Using Windows 10 currently as majorly in Microsoft based technology development, but had played a bit around with some of the versions of Linux and would love to make it as my second best choice.

• Hi.

I use Linux for at least fifteen years. Before I went from MS DOS through Windows 3, 95, 98 and XP. I noticed that I have less and less control over what is happening in my box. I didn't like it, so I started looking for alternatives. That was the time when Linux was becoming a viable desktop OS and I embraced it. It makes possible for me to find out everything about what is going on in my box, and if I don't know something, there is a vast community on the web.
    I still had to use Windows at my workplace. It keeps making me angry because of the way the user is treated as we shouldn't know anything and use everything "as is". I've never got my hands on a Mac, so I don't have any any experience with it.

• Windows all the way, on the 10 now, coupled it with mac os since few month now.

• Ubuntu 18.04 bionic beaver
    second choice is another linux distribution i.e. kali linux.

• I have always used Windows which has not been great in years past but I really like Windows 10. The more I learn about programming and software development the more interested I am becoming in Linux. However I would (and probably will) choose Mac OS soon.

• been a windows user all my career, but looking forward to the transition to Mac

• I currently use Windows 10, but I'm interested in why some people prefer to work on Mac OS over Winodws, any raw thoughts?

• I use currently use dual booted laptop with Windows and Ubuntu , Ubuntu for Coding and Windows for Entertainment , I also love Windows due to presence of Vstudio

• I'm using Windows right now,cause the Windows is more compatible. But I'd like to try Mac OS system

• I've just switched to Elementary OS about 3 months ago and loving it.

• Hi,
    Gud evng
    M using fedora 25 and i have to install the mysql on my system so please guide me.

• Hi,

I always prefer macOS for development then it would be Ubuntu. However with gaming Windows for sure.

• I have been using Mac around 3 years. Really I love it because it is something like Windows UI and Linux terminal together.

• Used Windows with Ubuntu VM, back then I thought it was a great idea as I managed to have Photoshop, Illustrator and other editors and the super-powers of Linux in the VM. Switched to Mac last year, it has it all in one place without the overload of the VM.

• Hi every body
    I am web developer
    I use Linux(debian) now but i used windows10 ago Linux is most faster and safe than windows but windows is most beautiful and support .exe format for very softwares
    but Linux is power and special OS and Confusing for common users and hard to use for common activities
    because i did not have mac , i have a little experience in usage it ( with VM only)
    mac OS is particular OS and only install on mac machines i don't prefer this OS , but i think its contain Linux terminal and windows professional software ( such as Adobe software and other ...)

• I use Windows all the time, because i love games, and I don't like consoles, and switch between SO it's so annoying. I would like to learn linux, maybe mint distro, i don't know, it's very difficult starting with a new SO like linux for dev, i never found an easy way to install dev tools, servers, etc

• Using the command line on linux, once you get the hang of it, makes installing programs, packages, and file management a breeze. Start with Ubuntu, it's very user friendly, or hey(pssssst... there's a linux distro for steam gaming. I know, whaaat.) Its called steam linux. Woop.

• For coding and personal preference as a OS I use Ubuntu or Arch Linux(Ubuntu for simplicity, Arch because I custom built it from source and it's a project). For my creative cloud subscription and design, (basically anything not able to be used on Linux.) I use windows 10, mainly for gaming and because I can't afford a mac. xD Windows is getting better for development, at least there is Git Bash and Windows subsystem for Linux now.

• I am using Windows from beginning. But for 9 months (Nov 2017 to July 2018, office laptop) I was used Mac and I am in love with that. As a frontend developer I always recommend Mac OS.

• I am using Ubuntu from four years. I always preferred Ubuntu compare to other Debian based linux because of its interface.
    If I had to use one of the others, I would choose Mac.

• Linux Mint on my portable, Linux Debian on my home server and Windows on my Wife's portable computer.

• I used two OS Windows 10 and Linux Mint. They both are good. I most use Linux Mint to do my work and use Windows to play games and other things.

• Linux :)
    I used windows and ubuntu in dual boot a moment but now I only use deepin distro

• Mac for work, windows for gaming (league of legends) :)

• Windows has been my bread and butter from when I was little. I learn about Macs when my friends need help. Linux has been an exploration project recently as I've started developing.

• Windows, all the time... But who knows what the future bring.